Monday, April 12, 2010

Weekend Running & RAGBRAI

Weekend Running Update:
I woke up Saturday morning and, like an idiot, decided to go for a run. My amazing 45-minute solo run last week inspired me to keep it up. Well, my body rejected running this weekend. I'm pretty sure it was screaming at me the whole 20 minutes! "WHAT are you doing?! STOP running! Are you crazy?!" So, for once, I listened! I turned around halfway down the floodwall and headed back, miserable the whole way. I wonder if this is normal? A stubborn, angry set of legs, dead-set against running? Or is it Lazy Girl rejecting this new Un-Lazy Girl suddenly trying to make an appearance in our blissfully inactive life? Hmmm.....
We struck a balance with a delicious pasta dinner and a movie, though. Not to worry, Lazy Girl is never far away!

I really need to start biking again! RAGBRAI (The Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa), an annual seven-day bicycle ride across Iowa, starts in 103 days. I am going to attempt to ride it this year, with Joel, and our friend Doug's RAGBRAI team. There is a very good chance I may die in this feeble attempt. So, I need to train. Many people who have biked RAGBRAI say it's just a week-long party and not to sweat it. You basically eat homemade pie and drink beverages! But, party or no party, I will still be cycling 442 miles, with up to 82 miles in one day! So this Lazy Girl is going to train! My training could become part of this blog too. Last summer, my endurance on the bike was really improving, through participating in several group rides. Anyone who knows the country roads of Southwestern Wisconsin can attest to how hilly they are. Biked them. Almost died on them. Hate them. But...I will probably have to tackle them again, to prepare myself for RAGBRAI. Ugh.
I have always thought RAGBRAI would be fun, but this year turned out to be the perfect year for us to try it. It is one of the flattest and shortest routes in its 38-year history, and it ends right here in our hometown! It's fate. I've got to give it my best attempt, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment