Wow. This is another one of those decisions I have to make about my fidelity to something. I suck at something, so do I give up, or do I try harder to succeed?
What am I talking about?
(1)This dang blog.
(2)Running.
(3) SO many other things in my career that I will not bore you with!
Well, after a 6 month break from this blog (and nearly that long from running), I've decided I'm back in. Well, to be completely honest, good ol' Amanda made the running decision FOR me. As for the writing about the running....I really enjoy writing, and if I'm going to start doing something I hate again, I might as well pair it with something I love. Running always gives me something to write about. Last summer, I often thought up what I would write about, mid-run. I mean, complete sentences, even paragraphs, would form in my head. I would have to head straight to the computer instead of stretching so I wouldn't lose it! Hmmmm.....maybe that's part of the problem.
I would ideally wait until summer to start up this blog again, with the end of this crazy school year as a first-time classroom teacher hanging over my head. However, tomorrow is a big day, so I'll take the time.
For some stupid reason, I am running my first 10K. I was thinking that a 10K would be a good goal for me to work toward, perhaps in the fall, after a summer of getting in shape. That sounds smart, right? Enter Amanda, aka the devil. "No, there's a 10K on Mother's Day weekend. You can do it. It's all flat and it's at the Heritage Trail (a packed gravel trail). You can do it. You can do it." So here I am, a few runs in this year, in worse shape than last year, and I'm running a 10K at 8:00 tomorrow morning. Seriously. What is wrong with me?
Normally, my goals with shorter races are pretty simple. Run. The whole time.
That's it. I have not previously been at a place where I felt I needed to worry about my time.
For this race, my goal is even simpler. I don't even care if I have to walk this one time. I cannot stress how badly out of shape I am. So my goal for tomorrow?
Don't die.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment