Friday, July 15, 2011

Duathlon!

It's here. Tomorrow is the longest, hardest race I will have ever tried!
1.2 mile run. 17 mile bike. 5K run.
It's here.

Amanda and I have spent the week preparing ourselves with bike rides and runs, and familiarizing ourselves with the course. We've researched all the right things to do before the big day. We biked the full 17 miles on Wednesday, with a short run afterward. And then our legs fell off. Or at least it felt like it. So Thursday was our day of recovery. We have our awesome race shirts decorated with slightly amateurish, yet awesome puffy paint. We have our Duathlete Bondi Bands ready to go.
I read that it is more important to get a good night's sleep 2 days before, rather than the night before. (Apparently no one sleeps well before an important race anyway...imagine that!) Last night, I thought that would not be a problem. Wrong. I woke up at 3:30 am, and could not fall asleep until after 6:30. I just tossed and turned pretty much the whole time.
At some point during the night, I had a dream about a neighbor named Mrs. Humke. In the dream, she was mean, and I did not like her. That's all I remembered about her upon waking. I do not have a neighbor named Mrs. Humke. However, the name of the road with the horrible hill I will be facing tomorrow......Humke Road. This realization made me giggle as I was waking up. I can't make this stuff up. Apparently, I have personified the scary hill into a really mean old lady. Is there a hidden meaning there? Or a really obvious meaning??
Today we went for a short run on the course to loosen up the legs, and then spent the ride home yawning. I hope we have more energy in the morning! I am spending the night eating baked mostacciolli and watching old movies. Morning will come fast, so I'm going to try to make up for that Mrs. Humke dream fiasco with an early bedtime!
Since Joel is in Las Vegas, we will be short on cheerleaders. So if you want to come out and see the spectacle, we should be done between 10 and 11 am. Race info here. You'll here from me tomorrow, after my long nap, about how it went! IF I survive.........
Also, this is a shout-out to Terry, Amanda's boyfriend, who's spending his birthday tomorrow competing also!
Happy Birthday Ter-Bear!!

No comments:

Post a Comment