Thursday, July 15, 2010

Headline: Elementary Teacher Inspires Students, Then Dies on RAGABRAI

During Bike to Work Week, I talked with my students about biking, and found that my fourth graders were very interested in this thing called RAGBRAI. So I decided to put that interest to work for me. To keep them reading independently toward the end of the school year, I set up this RAGBRAI bulletin board. I printed lots of RAGBRAI history from the website so they could read all about it. We read books about biking. I gave them fun reading logs to keep track of their independent reading. Then we started the bike ride across Iowa! The pictures explain it all.

Some of the pictures I printed off of the website, that I thought exemplified the spirit of RABRAI.
Banana costumes, people selling you stuff, hills

That bike (me) made it all the way across Iowa, through the overnight towns, where I had placed little pins.


When the fourth graders met their reading goal, and I made it across the state, we had a RAGBRAI party, where they got ice cream and certificates. Hopefully, some of them will remember this, and want to do RAGBRAI someday!

1 comment:

  1. I love the part where you want them to get you back home so you can NAP! You've told me about this activity with the students several times, it was nice to see the pictures to go along with it!

    ReplyDelete